LUPSET HEALTH CENTRE
Infection Control Annual Statement 2019 – 20
In line with the Health and Social Care Act 2008: Code of practice on prevention and control of infection and its related guidance, this Annual Statement will be generated each year. It will summarise:
- Any infection transmission incidents and any lessons learnt and action taken
- Details of any infection prevention and control (IPC) audits undertaken and any subsequent actions taken arising from these audits
- Details of any issues that may challenge infection prevention and control including risk assessment undertaken and subsequent actions implemented as a result
- Details of staff IPC training
- Details of review and update of IPC policies, procedures and guidance.
- INFECTION CONTROL LEAD
The Infection Control Lead will liaise with the General Manager to enable the integration of Infection Control principles and consequent policies into standards of care within the practice based on good practice.
They will be the first point of contact for practice staff in respect of Infection Control issues. They will help create and maintain an environment which will ensure the safety of the patient / client, carers, visitors and health care workers in relation to Healthcare Associated Infection (HCAI).
The Infection Control Lead will carry out the following within the practice:
- Increase awareness of Infection Control issues amongst staff and clients
- Help motivate colleagues to improve practice
- Improve local implementation of Infection Control policies
- Ensure that practice based Infection Control audits are undertaken
- Assist in the education of colleagues
- Help identify any Infection Control problems within the practice and work to resolve these, where necessary in conjunction with the local Infection Control Team
- Act as a role model within the practice
- Disseminate key Infection Control messages to their colleagues within the practice.
- SIGNIFICANT EVENTS
There have been no significant events reported regarding infection control issues in the period covered by this report.
The following audit was carried out in the practice:
This year an internal annual audit was carried out under instructions from the Infection Prevention and Control Team as a result of our high mark in last year’s external audit. The following actions were taken as a result of the feedback/outcome of the audit:
- We identified that sinks in the GP rooms will be changed at the next premise refurbishment.
- The Management of Infectious Diseases policy was updated to include staff guidance.
- We use the audit toolkit as the control programme to brief staff at induction and team meetings.
- We have earmarked 1 x chair and 2 x consulting couches for replacement.
- Our infection control policy has been reviewed.
- We improved our procedure on handling specimens in reception after a patient comment.
- We now have a larger container available for the speculums after use.
- STAFF TRAINING
Staff training is provide annually from the following sources:
- Centrally via the CCG Target process (usually for Practice Nurses)
- On line e-learning.
- In house (usually for Admin and Reception staff)
- POLICIES, PROTOCOLS AND GUIDELINES
We have updated and consolidated our infection control policies and protocols, which are all available for staff on the practice intranet.
Date of the report: 12th November 2019
Author: General Manager